- ‘Peace needs to be lived’Rotary Day at the United Nations pushes peace from concept to
- More than $1 billion in pledges to end polioAt the Rotary International Convention, global leaders and key donors affirm their commitment to ending
- Scholar measuring and stopping public corruptionScholar measuring and stopping public corruptionGlobal grant scholarship recipient Lusiné Mehrabyan is working toward solving one of the most difficult and pervasive world ills: government corruption.Mehrabyan, a native of Armenia
- Honoring champions of peace for Rotary UN DayRotary Day at the UN filled with peace champions and
Are you interested in learning a new language or meeting new people? Rotary Youth Exchange is the opportunity of a lifetime for the more than 8,000 students who participate each year. By sharing your own culture and embracing a new one, you help foster global understanding—and learn a great deal about yourself and your home country in the process.
WHAT IS A ROTARY YOUTH EXCHANGE?
Youth Exchange is a study-abroad opportunity for young people who spend anywhere from a few weeks to a full year as an international student hosted by local Rotary clubs.
IS AN EXCHANGE RIGHT FOR ME?
Exchanges are for people ages 15–18 who:
- Have demonstrated leadership in their school and community
- Are flexible and willing to try new things
- Are open to cultural differences
- Can serve as an ambassador for their own country
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Costs vary from country to country. Local Rotary clubs generously host students and provide room and board with a host family and a small monthly stipend. Participants are generally responsible for:
- Round-trip airfare
- Travel documents (such as passports and visas)
- Spending money, additional travel, and tour fees
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Contact your local Rotary District Youth Exchange Chair (Hilary Richards – email: firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more about the types of programs offered, and specific application process required. Because the selection and orientation process can be lengthy, we suggest you apply 6–12 months before you plan to leave.
CAN I HOST AN EXCHANGE STUDENT?
Hosting an exchange student can be an incredibly rewarding experience for your family, providing an international experience without leaving home. Host families provide room and board and share their lives with exchange students, involving them in family, community, and cultural activities.
ESSEX was founded in 1966 to facilitate a smoother functioning program, a number of Rotary Districts in New England and the Middle Atlantic States combined into a consortium called the Eastern States Student Exchange or ESSEX.
The Eastern States Student Exchange Program (ESSEX) organizes both long-term and short-term Rotary student exchanges for 35 Rotary International Districts. ESSEX works with districts in 16 states in the eastern United States, Bermuda and Quebec, Canada, and exchanges with over 30 countries worldwide. Rotary’s student exchange offers two programs to choose from, a long-term program which is a 10 or 11 month program and a short- term program which is a 3 to 6 week program.