- ‘Peace needs to be lived’Rotary Day at the United Nations pushes peace from concept to
- More than $1 billion in pledges to end polioAt the Rotary International Convention, global leaders and key donors affirm their commitment to ending
- Scholar measuring and stopping public corruptionScholar measuring and stopping public corruptionGlobal grant scholarship recipient Lusiné Mehrabyan is working toward solving one of the most difficult and pervasive world ills: government corruption.Mehrabyan, a native of Armenia
- Honoring champions of peace for Rotary UN DayRotary Day at the UN filled with peace champions and
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) is Rotary’s leadership training program for young people. RYLA participants age range from age 14 to 18. RYLA emphasizes leadership, citizenship, personal growth, and aims to:
- Demonstrate Rotary’s respect and concern for youth
- Provide an effective training experience for selected youth and potential leaders
- Encourage leadership of youth by youth
- Recognize publicly young people who are rendering service to their communities
If RYLA is all about leadership then what exactly is leadership and what am I going to learn?
David H. Petraeus said it best when he compared management with leadership. General Petraeus said, “…management is the distribution of assets…Leadership is about inspiration.”
Lou Holtz, one of the most successful coaches of all time said, “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it”
In another quote Lou Holtz said, “The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.”
Leadership is developed and mastered in the field through SCUBA, white water rafting, practical experience and practice through application. Outdoor Odyssey’s uniquely-designed Leadership Reaction Course (LRC) consists of a wide variety of challenging elements, readily adaptable to RYLA’s specific mission. The LRC’s, low, moderate and high impact training challenges participants to tackle uncertainty, incorporating and leveraging strengths and differences of team members. An unparalleled tool for development of leadership and teambuilding skills, the LRC enables RYLA Recipients to embrace change and uncertainty through development of effective communications and problem-solving skills.
During your RYLA experience you will learn about leadership from leaders. Evening camp fire “Snack Chats” are planned with mountain pies and smores. Rotarian business and community leaders will share their experiences as business leaders and their experiences as members of Rotary International. During RYLA Snack Chats you will also discover a world of opportunity available to you through Rotary.
On behalf of the staff and management of Outdoor Odyssey and the 1.2 million Rotarians around the world we extend congratulations to you on your achievements that have led to a Rotary Youth Leadership Award application. We sincerely hope that the experiences of RYLA week at Outdoor Odyssey will be long remembered.