- Remembering SamRotary remembers Sam Owori for his ‘quiet confidence,’ integrity, and
- From Peace Scholar to World Wildlife FundBuilding peace at every levelRotary peace fellow applies lessons to life in BogotáAs a child in Bogotá, Colombia, Lucas Peña was shocked to learn that violence between
- President-elect Sam Owori diesRotary President-elect Sam F. Owori diesRotary International President-elect Sam F. Owori died unexpectedly on 13 July due to complications from surgery. Sam was a member of the Rotary Club Kampala, Uganda, for 38
- Interactor from Brazil combats a deadly online gameInteractor from Brazil combats a deadly online game with a version that promotes peace and self-esteem
Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) is Rotary’s leadership training program for young people. RYLA participants age range from age 14 to 18. RYLA emphasizes leadership, citizenship, personal growth, and aims to:
- Demonstrate Rotary’s respect and concern for youth
- Provide an effective training experience for selected youth and potential leaders
- Encourage leadership of youth by youth
- Recognize publicly young people who are rendering service to their communities
If RYLA is all about leadership then what exactly is leadership and what am I going to learn?
David H. Petraeus said it best when he compared management with leadership. General Petraeus said, “…management is the distribution of assets…Leadership is about inspiration.”
Lou Holtz, one of the most successful coaches of all time said, “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it”
In another quote Lou Holtz said, “The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.”
Leadership is developed and mastered in the field through SCUBA, white water rafting, practical experience and practice through application. Outdoor Odyssey’s uniquely-designed Leadership Reaction Course (LRC) consists of a wide variety of challenging elements, readily adaptable to RYLA’s specific mission. The LRC’s, low, moderate and high impact training challenges participants to tackle uncertainty, incorporating and leveraging strengths and differences of team members. An unparalleled tool for development of leadership and teambuilding skills, the LRC enables RYLA Recipients to embrace change and uncertainty through development of effective communications and problem-solving skills.
During your RYLA experience you will learn about leadership from leaders. Evening camp fire “Snack Chats” are planned with mountain pies and smores. Rotarian business and community leaders will share their experiences as business leaders and their experiences as members of Rotary International. During RYLA Snack Chats you will also discover a world of opportunity available to you through Rotary.
On behalf of the staff and management of Outdoor Odyssey and the 1.2 million Rotarians around the world we extend congratulations to you on your achievements that have led to a Rotary Youth Leadership Award application. We sincerely hope that the experiences of RYLA week at Outdoor Odyssey will be long remembered.